Thursday, May 14, 2009

901

It’s the most joyful day of the year. Well- it is supposed to be. It’s supposed to be day with balloons, gifts, parties, and possibly, my favorite of all that exist in the world, money!
I woke up in the morning, excited to see what my family had prepared for me. I staggered past the corridor expecting my parents saying “Happy birthday!” but the living room was empty except for the furniture. Hmmm…this definitely didn’t seem right. I glanced at my watch to check if it actually was my birthday today- maybe I’m mistaken. Sadly, the watch clearly stated ’08-06-28 and yet, nothing had happened. I was beginning to get really serious. Have they totally forgotten about me? My birthday? Don’t they have it marked on their calendar? Then I began to imagine stories like- ‘Are they planning to reveal the secret of my birthday or something? Like…”Jaewon, you actually were adopted. We’re sorry about that. I think you’re old enough to understand” OR it’s like one of those movies where you’re normal, but everyone else suddenly turned into Ancient Roman or something’ Oh my God. I knew that those things wouldn’t happen, but I really was serious at the time. I’d rather have a real family that doesn’t even know my birthday than to become like on of those tragic characters that appear only in novels or movies.
I trudged back to my room. Maybe they did something surprising in my room while I was in the living room waiting for surprises. I inhaled deeply before entering the room- there they were, greeting me with happy smiles- well, in the family photo hanging on the wall of my room. I suddenly felt something at the back of my throat and my eyes. I tucked myself into bed and started sniffing. Crying for a while, I fell asleep. Knock, knock! The door slightly opened, and there was my stupid evil mom saying, “Your saxophone tutor is coming in a minute.” Tuition. On my birthday. Wow. Great. I was annoyed at my mom organizing tuition on my birthday, but I love to play the saxophone, so I just wiped off the tears, and went outside to greet my tutor. My mom doesn’t even know my birthday, and that’s probably why she organized a lesson today. The doorbell rang and I slowly opened the door. My tutor and I went inside my room. Then…my dream…came true…My say tutor handed me the baritone saxophone she brought and said, “Happy birthday! This is the surprise from your parent. No more crying now, JaeWon! Phew! I had a hard time organizing this with your mom secretly so that you wouldn’t notice. Well, why don’t you go thank your mom now?” I was dumbfounded. I couldn’t move an inch from where I was. A Yanagisawa 901 baritone saxophone that I dreamed about every single day in my hand… Nothing could possibly be better than this.
Baritone saxophone is much bigger than the saxophone that people normally play and the pitch is in an octave lower- that’s why I love it so much. The saxophone that my parents bought for me is made by a brand named, ‘Yanagisawa’ and it’s one of the top three saxophone making companies. When I first saw and received the saxophone, I was contented with the saxophone. Although 901 is the cheapest model in Yanagisawa, it’s far better than the professional models of Yamaha. It was so shiny and lustrous in the beginning. Its keys were made out of real pearl, and everything was so comfortable to use; the keys press down smoothly, and has a perfect thumb hook for a stable grip. I was so impressed. However, as time passed by, I was starting to have greed towards owning a 991 black- lacquered saxophone, 992 a bronze saxophone and 9931 silver- plated saxophone that has so many more functions than mine. Is there a limit to my greed? - In my opinion, the answer is NO. Yet, I still love my saxophone, and the saxophone well taken care of by me. Thank you mom and dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment